Hindu Rights Action Force chairperson P Waythamoorthy is peeved with the government for not preferring any charges yet against police personnel involved in the death of detainee A Kugan.
"Kugan died in custody on Jan 20 and to date, more than a month now, no charge or arrest has been made on any police personnel," he said in a statement today.
"This condemnable approach taken by the government and the Attorney-General's Chambers in delaying the charge and arrest of involved policemen will only further agitate the public," he said.
He added that the inaction undermined the public accountability and transparency of the government in relation to protection of human rights in Malaysia.
"The continuous callous attitude by the government against the Malaysian public in particular to the Malaysian Indians will only distance itself further from the public...
"Hindraf seeks immediate actions to be taken against the police personnel involved and not lip services from the AG's office in this matter.
"One month without any charge or arrest is just to long for a murder that took place in police custody unless there are ulterior hidden motive for the death of Kugan that otherwise could jeopardize the integrity and sanctity of the police force," he said.
Kugan, 23, was arrested on Jan 15 for suspected involvement in the theft of luxury cars in Sungai Chua, Kajang, and died at the Taipan police station in Subang Jaya five days later.
A video clip taken at the Serdang Hospital mortuary revealed severe lacerations on the body of deceased, prompting the family to allege foul play.
The incident also sparked off a huge public outcry with various quarters, including political parties holding demonstrations.
Following this, the Attorney-General re-classified the case as murder and 11 police personnel were reassigned to desk duty. However, nobody has been charged yet.
Independent probe on Kulim killing
Waythamoorthy, presently in London following a government crackdown on Hindraf in 2007, also condemned the killing of six people in a police shootout in Kulim last week.
The six, suspected to be criminals, were shot dead when the police raided a house owned by one of the victims.
Waythamoorthy said that based on the history of police action against alleged armed criminals and persons in custody, the Kulim shootout raised the question of the government's and the police force's integrity and transparency.
He said that all members of parliament should immediately table a motion in Parliament to set up an independent investigative body to conduct forensic and coroner's report in the Kulim killing to ensure transparency and accountability of the police force.
Those killed in the shootout were contract worker R Elangovan, 38; LS Santana, 34; contractor R Pannir, 28; crane driver S Vadivelan, 29; carpenter S Gurusamy, 50, and lorry attendant R Dilip Kumar, 20.
Police alleged that they were believed to be involved in several cases of armed robbery in Kedah, Penang, Perak and Selangor.
A team from the federal police headquarters was involved the 11pm operation on Feb 17 in the small town of Karangan, some 15km from Kulim.
Police claimed that they had no choice but to act in self-defence.