Share |

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

'My Daftar' campaign for Indians in Feb

PUTRAJAYA: The Government will launch a nationwide “My Daftar” campaign from Feb 19 to 26, 2011 in an effort to resolve the problems faced by Malaysian Indians who do not have relevant documents pertaining to their birth, identification and citizenship, said Human Resources Minister Datuk Dr S.Subramaniam today.

He said the campaign, organized by the Special Implementation Taskforce on the Indian Community in collaboration with the Ministry of Home Affairs, would among others, seek to identify individuals who possess a birth certificate but have not applied for a ‘MyKad’, and those who do not possess a birth certificate and therefore unable to secure a ‘MyKad’.

“The campaign will also target children who do not possess a birth certificate and therefore unable to go to school as well as children and young people in residential homes run by the Social Welfare Department and voluntary organizations who do not possess sufficient documentation,” Dr Subramaniam, who is also the Taskforce chairman and MIC deputy president, said.

He said the campaign was also targeted at individuals above 55 years of age, who were born in Malaya, and who possess a red identification card and those who have applied for citizenship.

“During the campaign period, the Registration Department office in 30 towns in nine states namely Kedah, Penang, Perak, Selangor, Kuala Lumpur, Pahang, Negeri Sembilan, Melaka and Johor, will set up special counters to process applicants from the Indian community,” he said.

He said earlier this year, the Taskforce through a series of ‘meet the people sessions' have already identified 902 cases of Malaysian Indians who have difficulties in securing the relevant documentation.


Dr Subramaniam said they were currently at various stages of being processed by the Taskforce and Registration Department.

“This is a major effort on the part of the federal Government to come to grips with an age old problem which is a major grievance among a sizable section of the Indian community,” he said.

Through this campaign, he said the government was seeking a permanent solution to all Malaysian Indians who were not able to secure the necessary documents thus far.


“I thank the Ministry of Home Affairs and the Department of Registration for their partnership and cooperation,” he said, adding that the Taskforce together with its supporting organizations would launch an aggressive media campaign through the print media, radio, TV and internet including the support and cooperation of the Department of Information.

He said the Taskforce Consultant, Datuk Siva Subramaniam would be serving as the Campaign Coordinator.

Those interested to know more about this campaign could contact the Taskforce secretariat officers, Mrs Premala at 03-88711280 or 03-88711371 or Mr Thana at 016-295 7172.
-- BERNAMA

Read more: 'My Daftar' campaign for Indians in Feb http://www.nst.com.my/articles/MyDafter_campaignforIndiansinFeb/Article/#ixzz1DO2RHIxe

No comments: